Friday, April 13, 2012

Trust and Cheating



Trust in a long distance relationship is just as important as communication.  Suspicion can often ruin any type of relationship but in a long distance relationship it can cause the relationship to end.  Separation from your partner can often cause you to become emotional at times.  Having a solid foundation of trust is an absolute necessity for a long distance relationship to be successful.  Personally, I trust Zack because I know how much I mean to him.  He tells me every single day and he trusts me in return.
According to statistics provided by The Center for the Study of Long Distance Relationships, 37% of long distance couples split up in the first 3 months of a relationship compared to 21% of traditional (proximal) relationships. However, if a long distance relationship can last the first year, only 8% break up after the first year compared to 25% of traditional relationships. This shows that long distance relationships have the potential to survive longer if a couple can make it through the first few months.
Another way to trust each other is knowing your partner is smart.  It's easy to say you could never cheat on someone but then when the situation arises what do you do?  Why even put yourself into a situation though if you could potentially hurt the one you care about.  Stay out of sticky situations, they can only harm your relationship.  Being in college there will be a lot of temptations, parties, etc.  Just set boundaries for yourself and your partner so you know where each other stands.  Be open about everything and everything will work out perfectly.


Example:  My boyfriend and I are two completely different people.  He is a responsible, smart, athetic person and I am smart and responsible too, but I tend to go out a lot more with my friends.  He cannot because of his sport.  We have had talks before when he tells me he trusts me but he doesn't trust other people.  He knows I would never do anything to hurt him but he knows "what other guys think."  Whenever I go out he knows I am with my friends and sorority sisters who are watching just in case.  I think it helps that he feels like he knows them because I have introduced my girl friends on Skype and on the phone.



Statistics found at: http://www.toponlinecolleges.com/blog/2011/10-tips-for-long-distance-college-relationships/

No comments:

Post a Comment